Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Comfort is a dish best served warm.


“Life is so precious.”  How many times do we hear these words and nod our heads in agreement with the statement, then keep on moving.  Never so clear was this statement when a month ago, a dear friend passed away suddenly.   She was only a few weeks away from forty years old and was looking forward to that milestone with gusto.  Now, suddenly, she is gone. 

I wish I would have told her how much it ment to me that she was part of my life.  Over the past few years we had grown apart.  Moving will do that to a relationship.  She and her son truly became part of the Rupple family.  They joined our holiday dinners and weekend get togethers.  She was my labor coach with Will, and helped me through some personal challenges as well.  She taught me to embrace today and not leave open ended invitations.  To this day 99% of the time I try not to say, “oh, we’ll get together soon", I try to set the next date. 

After learning those lessons, I gradually advanced to living a life without fear.  I know in my heart that I try #1 to live for the Lord.  I do make mistakes, I try to apologize and make things right, right away.  As long as my conscience is clear before Him, I trust that He will work things out.   That’s helped me take the steps of putting my writing out there, putting my recipes out there, putting my heart and soul out there. 

There are times that it sucks to not win (again) at the Strawberry Festival. Or, not make it on Chopped.  I won’t give that up, somewhere there is a stage with my name on it.  (It’s ok to laugh at me for that).   There are plenty of times that I lose my temper with my sweet children.  When my ten year old “wins” and I lose my peace and perhaps say a bad word in response.  (19 Kids and Counting has been on a lot  lately in my home and I don’t know how Michelle doesn’t just lose it at times.  Bless Her.)

So, as gesture of how precious this life and the people that I love are….I tend to feed everybody.  I can’t help it.  A lot of my best memories of childhood happened in a kitchen.  Baking cookies with my Mom, watching my Papa make pies, finding a starfish in the frozen shrimp with my Nana.  I naturally, then follow their lead and like to let kids crack eggs for me and make them special birthday cakes on their birthday.  I make chicken noodle soup when my loves are sick.  That’s 100% comfort in a bowl.  I think after writing this, I need some.   Here’s my recipe:

 


Annie’s Chicken Noodle Soup.

1.       2 cups chopped cooked chicken (It’s ok to use rotisserie)

2.       1 medium onion diced

3.       1 cup diced celery

4.       1 cup diced carrot

5.       3 cloves garlic, minced

6.       2 tbsp butter

7.       2 tbsp flour

8.       2 bay leaves

9.       ½ tsp allspice

10.   Salt and pepper to taste

11.   6 cups of chicken stock

12.   Spaghetti noodles, broken in half  diameter of a half dollar




 
 
 
 
 
 
In a large pot, cook the onion, garlic, carrot and celery until tender.  Go ahead and add a pinch of salt and pepper.  Once they’re cooked, sprinkle the flour and allspice over the veggies.  Make sure to stir.  You’re cooking the flour taste out.  Congratulations, you’ve made a roux. 


Now, add the chicken broth and chicken.  Also, the bay leaves.  Keep stirring for a bit to combine the roux mixture and the broth.  Simmer for at least 30 minutes.  Add noodles and taste.  Season with salt and pepper if necessary and add more broth if it gets too thick.  When the noodles are cooked through, soup is served.  The flavors are simple.  The allspice adds warmth, my Nana made hers with allspice and breadcrumb dumplings . It’s especially nice with a thick slice of bread slathered with butter   

  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment