Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Perfectly Imperfect and Grateful For It


I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s caught up in the whirlwind that is the five weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Coming off of my tumultuous Thanksgiving, I am determined not to let stress get the best of me. 


My Loves.
What stress you ask? The stress of wanting to make the holiday’s perfect.  I know I am not the only person who wants to make things special for my kids, or my husband, or my friends.  We all have the desire to express to those we love how special they are to us.

In honor of Christmas, and the meaning of Christmas to me as a Christian, I am determined to celebrate my imperfect moments as much as the perfect ones.  After all, Jesus being born to a teenager, in a barn is not a story of perfection.  It’s a story of humility, grace and love.   

My sweeties asked to do a gingerbread house.  The past few years, it got put on the back burner since it entails a little work and requires the house to sit on the counter as decoration. I also need to set aside my control tendencies and let them do it "their way". 
Kids do not know the difference between a decoration and food.  Almost as soon as the house was erected, it was picked clean.  It still sits on my counter and they still ask to eat it. 


After.
Before.
My Christmas tree now leans to the right.  When it went up on Thanksgiving evening, it was straight, tall and beautiful.  It’s still beautiful after a sibling wrestling event sent it crashing to the floor.  The fact that it’s loaded with delicate ornaments makes it cumbersome to try and straighten. 
 My red bows are askew and the ribbon is not quite even, but to me it’s still beautiful.  I’m glad no one cut their toes on the broken shards of ornament bulbs.  It turned into a learning experience as Natalie learned to get off someone’s back when they’re done giving piggy back rides and Lucas learned not to fling her off in frustration.  I’m glad the tree was there to break her fall. 
 
Christmas is also a time for Christmas pageants at church.  My kids were in two this year.   The first was put on by our special needs community, Special Friends.  The playwright and lead character is Sydney and she has Down syndrome.  She is amazing, courageous and determined.   I am so proud that my children were all eager to step in and help. 
Natalie and I seated at the table.

While sitting in the green room before the play began, I looked at this room of people that the world would call imperfect and see how beautiful they are.  They all have hopes and dreams.  They have friends and purpose.  They are deeply loved by God. 


 
Lucas as "Grunpy"




 
I’m not sure how those three stories blend together, except that maybe what could have been major stress bombs, (messy kitchens, wrecked trees and an extra Christmas play) turned into beautiful moments of sharing time with each other while celebrating the beauty of imperfection. 
 
(Oh, I did manage to glue poor Lucas's hat to his head and in the process had to cut a little hair to get it off. He probably won't celebrate that.)

 




No comments:

Post a Comment