Sunday, January 6, 2013

Mom, what's for dinner?!

Happy New Year!  What an opportunity this time of year brings.  One of my resolutions that I set for myself is to keep a "diary" of my family's dinners for the year.  This was inspired by Rachel Ray's new cookbook where she does the same. 
I do get asked about what I do for dinner for my family.  I love to cook and if you check out my Facebook or YouTube, you'll get the picture pretty quick.  :)
So, with out further ado, here's what this mom made for dinner:

On the first of Jan. was marked with tacos.  Grilled (indoors on my grill pan) chicken and steak tacos.  Served with shredded lettuce, cheese and spicy salsa.  I added fresh cilantro to the shredded lettuce for added flavor and simmered the grilled/then sliced meat in taco seasoning.  My steak was scavenged from my mother's freezer before our drive back to Michigan and had seen better days.  At least by simmering the meat in sauce it ensured that whatever old taste was covered with.....taste. (sorry Mom) I used corn tortillas warmed in the oven.  The kids gave it **** (four stars out of 5)

Thursday was a vegetable beef soup and garlic bread.  I had picked up stew meat that had been marked down (score) and from there added the magic three: onion, celery and carrots.  seasoned it with 1/2 tsp of liquid smoke, 1/4 tsp of curry powder, 1 tsp of garlic powder and plenty of salt and pepper to taste.  A can of Italian style diced tomatoes finished it up.  Six bouillon cube as ta-da! Soup is served.  I used to be scared of soup, then I learned how easy it can be.  The kids ranked it as ***, Al and I gave it *****.

Friday, January 4th saw "Roast Beef to the Rescue" sandwiches.  The video attached was made as part of a recipe competition.  Will loves them and requests them often. ***** from the kiddos.  I served these beauties with Kale chips.  Who knew you could make a chip with something as obscure as kale.  This green is very hardy and can stand up to the oven.  Wash and dry the kale.  Tear it off the stem and into medium pieces, think the size of a potato chip.  Spray with a canola oil or olive oil cooking spray and roast off in a 275 degree oven.  I tossed mine with minced garlic before roasting..so good. 

Saturday, was a trip to Wing King for chicken wings.  Mama needs a break every once in a while.  and today, Sunday will be leftovers from the freezer for Mr. Al and Will since the younger ones and I have a birthday party to go to tonight. 

I am learning to make a menu for the week.  It makes shopping easy and it cuts down on the amount of stress I have over "what's for dinner".  I do move some dinners around on the calender, flexibility is important when dealing with children.  I do have the kids try new things and am moving away from giving each child their own dinner.  This is not Cafe Mom.  At times, I do cave and let them have a pb&j or a bowl of cereal.  Peace is important to me. 
Roast Beef to the Rescue!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment