Wednesday, September 2, 2015

What happens in team building exercises....and a recipe for Beef Tikka Masala


I was sitting in on a youth group parent meeting this past Sunday and our project was to “build a daughter”.  We were to list what we’d like the young lady to have as personality traits, career choices, skills she’ll need to accomplish things, when and if she should date and get married.  Seems fairly simple, right?  It got a little interesting.   For career choices I had listed “mother, teacher, and whatever she wants to do”.  I was the only woman to list mother as a career.   One other shared later that she was thinking that, but didn’t list it.  Why don’t we think about motherhood as a career?
When I was in kindergarten, we had to write what we wanted to be when we grew up and I said, “a mommy”.  Lots of little girls, I’m sure have all had that expectation.  I also wanted to be a writer.  I am happy to report that I’ve fulfilled my childhood expectations; yet, I am a bit reticence when I tell people I’m a stay at home mom. 

My loves, five years ago.

I once made mention to a friend that I was thinking of going to career day as a “mom”. She quickly asked if I “would take a basket of laundry or maybe demonstrate changing a diaper” to help with my talk.  I since have dropped wanting to talk to elementary kids about motherhood.  Yet, my desire to put in a plug for what I do hasn’t waned. 
Why laundry is impossible.

Sure, it would bring validation to what I do, but I think there’s an art to it that’s being lost.  I’ve enjoyed the verses in Titus chapter 2 that speak about older women teaching younger women to love their husbands and children..and not to be drunk on too much wine.  (A little wine is ok, just not too much. Paul knows, we'll need the wine. I hope you know I'm kidding.)
I’m not saying that women shouldn’t work outside of the home.  I want my Natalie to find out what she wants to do and go after it with her whole heart.  I also want to teach her that having the blessing of a family entails a little effort and sacrifice.  It’s been a sacrifice that has been worth it to me.  I don't second guess for an instant my decision to stay home with William and beginning to babysit versus pursuing a career in medical billing at the age of 24. Our family would’ve had more money, but I would’ve missed those quiet snuggles after naptime and picnics at the park. 
I am forever grateful that I chose a husband who felt that having me home with our child was important to him too.  He has never badgered me to “go back to work”.  He sees my value at home and has always supported me.  It was a sacrifice when he took a second job and went to school full time.  It has been a sacrifice when I’ve been home alone dealing with the fourth temper tantrum in three hours. It's been a sacrifice when we were all crammed into  750sq foot home, but, it’s a beautiful sacrifice and I think if more young adults understood that you can plan for it now by the choices you make in who you’ll marry and how much education you should pursue. It's ok to make motherhood a priority over a huge career. 

Now that my children are getting older and life is less "all hands on deck" I am able to pursue my interests. My interests are different now than when I was 24.   The fact that I put myself on hold for a few years gave me time to mature and really become myself.  I'm certainly not saying that my way is the best way, it's just the way that's been the best for us.
I will say that what makes our success at home possible is our shared relationship with Jesus Christ.  (If you couldn’t figure out I was Christian, now you know.) When Al and I began dating, he was looking for a Christian girl and I hadn’t made dating a Christian guy a priority.  We went into the relationship asking what we’d like in marriage.  He asked if I was planning on breastfeeding when I had kids on our third or fourth date.  My point in that is that we asked all those questions to see if we were on the same page BEFORE we got swept away in romantic feelings. 
Loving Al has been the best choice I have ever made.  He accepted me when I was a hot mess at 21 years old and has given me the grace to allow me to change into who I am today.  Not everyone has the patience, but because Al loves Jesus, he has the patience.
This post was supposed to include a recipe.  This post was also supposed to be light and funny.  
Beef Tikka Masala
I had already typed up my recipe for a dish that needs a name.  One suggestion was Beef Tikka Masala..I’m going with that because Beef and Vegetables in a Tomato Sauce Because it’s too Hot for Beef and Noodles is too long.  

Enjoy the recipe and thank you for listening to me.

Beef Tikka Masala
2.5# cubed beef
¼ cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp fenegreek powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp allspice
1 tbsp worstschire sauce

``Mix flour and seasonings in large ziplock bag.  Add beef and shake until all dry ingredients are coating the meat.  Add the worstchire sauce and work into the meat as evenly as possible.  Let set for at least an hour to marinate the meat. 
For the Sauce:
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger
Love how colorful the veggies are.
1 small onion thinly sliced
1 large zucchini cut into large cubes.  Peel if you prefer.
½ c thinly sliced red pepper
1 15.5 0z can garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas)
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp fenegreek powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp curry powder
1 small can tomato sauce
2 cups of beef broth
½ c heavy cream
Browning the Beef.
¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro

In 1-3 tbsp oil begin browning meat in small batches at med high heat.  You want to do it in small batches so it will develop a sear/crust on each side.  If the meat is touching, it will steam instead.  We want the yummy crust and the pretty color, not mushy, grey meat. 
After you brown both sides, remove from pan and drain on paper towels.  When the meat is cooked,  add the veggies, to the pan.  Cook them until they’re softened.  Add back the meat, (drained)garbanzo beans, tomato sauce and broth.  As you stir the liquids into the pan, make sure you’re scraping the bottom to bring up the bits into the sauce.  
Before adding the liquid.

Turn the heat down so that it cooks at a low simmer for 30-40 minutes.   Stirring every so often to make sure the bottom isn’t burning.  Add more broth if it gets too thick. 
When time has passed, take a taste to see if a little more salt is necessary.  Stir in the ½ cup cream and let simmer for another 5 minutes.  When ready to serve, sprinkle on fresh chopped cilantro. 
After adding the liquid.

Spoon it over rice.  I didn’t have any naan, so I just heated up flour toritllas brushed with a little butter.  It’s an easy substitution (says the American).
If all my children loved sweet green peas…I would’ve used those in place of the garbanzo beans.  You could probably just use veggies and omit the meat altogether and use veggie stock instead.  (gasp, don’t tell my carnivorous clan)


2 comments: