Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Comfort Food for a Manic Monday


 
 
 
 
 
 
Happy Monday, y’all!  Don’t you love those mornings that start early?  Like 2am?  Yeah, I’m pretty much over them myself.  Needless to say, by the time 6am came around, I was pretty groggy.  I’m still groggy and it’s 6:24 pm. 
***Ok, I’ll be honest…it’s now Wednesday.  I had every intention of getting this up on Monday, then I got tired, there was a field trip, my son needed to use my laptop for homework, and well, I’m sure you get the picture. 
I did manage to muster my motivation to plan dinner for the week.  Then I grocery shopped, came home and made two dinners!  I have a bit of a busy week ahead, and wanted to be prepared.  My family is like an army, their success depends on how hungry (or not) they are. 
I tried out a new recipe tonight.  I got the idea from a Pillsbury commercial during my Real Housewives.  They took Grands Biscuits, set them in a cupcake pan and filled with some mixture of cream of chicken soup and chicken.   What most got my attention was the biscuit cup.  Cream of chicken soup in a can kinda turns my stomach. 
So, my little spin on that dish was to make beef stew.  Yum.  I had some diced beef in the freezer that needed to get used up.  I tossed it lightly in flour and seasoning, then browned it in oil.  Removing it from the pan, I cooked some onion, celery and carrots.  Some potatoes from a can got diced up and added.  (I know, can’t stand cream of chicken soup, yet enjoy canned potatoes, go figure).  Once the veggies are cooked, I sprinkled on a few tablespoons of flour.  That cooked down a little and some beef stock got stirred in.  Bay leaves and some butter added more flavor; oh, and don’t forget the salt, pepper or worchestershire. 
Once my stew was thickened and had cooked for a half hour or so, I added some half and half creamer.  I then took it off the heat.  It was time to pat out my biscuits and line the cupcake tin.  A quarter cup of filling goes in each cup.  Sprinkle cheese on top…always need cheese in comfort food. 
I baked these beauties at 375 degrees for 12-14 minutes.  They were gorgeous and delicious.
My Beef Stew
Here’s the recipe:
1.5# beef stew meat
¼ cup ap flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp powdered garlic
Lining the muffin tin with the biscuit dough.
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp paprikia
So, toss all these in a gallon zip bag until the meat is coated
Let that sit for a few minutes while you dice:
2 large carrots
1 small onion
1 large rib of celery
1 can precooked potatoes, diced
My biscuit cup runneth over.
32oz beef stock
2tbsp butter
½ cup half n half creamer
2 bay leaves
More salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cans Grands buttermilk biscuits
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
In a large pan heat up 3 tbsp oil over med high heat brown the meat in batches.  Draining and removing from pan when browned.  When the meat has all been cooked and drained, add veggies and cook.  Cook them until they are about 75% soft.  Return the meat back to the pan and sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons of flour and add the butter.  Stir it all together and let cook for two minutes.  Add Beef stock, bay leaves and Worcestershire sauce.  Let the mixture simmer for a half hour or so..then add the half n half
So, that’s the stew part.  Now take your Grands biscuits, or their generic counterpart, and flatten them out.  Place them in a the cupcake pan, like a cup..Fill with ¼ cup of the beef stew and sprinkle cheese on top.  Place in oven preheated to 375 and bake for 12-14 minutes. 
I spooned remaining stew over the top when I served them. 
It makes 16 Beef Stew Biscuit Bowls..I served each person two (my teenager may have had four).
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment