Thursday, July 17, 2014

Oh Gravy, how I love thee......


I used to be afraid of gravy.  Can you believe it?  I was worried it would be too oily, glumpy, or just plain gross.  Then my sweet friend for life Shelly walked me through one of the most basic elements of cooking.  Fifteen years later, I can’t imagine my life without it.  In fact this week we had gravy three days in a row.  The fourth day was spent with a delicious chocolate mousse pie, but that’s beside the point. 

I will admit there is a certain amount of shame involved in admitting to three days in a row with gravy.  When Will asked for chicken and dumplings for the fourth day, I had to turn him down.  

So, if you’re wondering what all the gravy was for let me tell you.  Roast chicken with mashed potatoes and homemade chicken gravy was Sunday’s dinner.   There was also a light tossed salad with mandarin oranges and a honey mustard vinaigrette to help cut the heaviness of the meal. 

Monday was Salisbury Steak with (more) mashed potatoes, creamy beef gravy and steamed green beans.  Tuesday wound up being a “breakfast for dinner” night.  We had biscuits and gravy with a bagged (gasp) breakfast skillet and fried eggs. 

My biscuits were not homemade.  I’m holding out for Paula Deen to show me her magic.  Every time, and I mean every time, my biscuits end up harder than a hockey puck.   So I get the frozen ones at Aldis.

I know there are a million sites out there to show how to make sausage gravy, but I thought I’d share my recipe for those who want to treat their family to some comfort first thing in the morning.  My kids and my husband all love this, I hope you guys do too. 
 
 
 
Sausage Gravy:
1 16 oz breakfast sausage roll (go ahead and use turkey sausage if you want to lighten it up a bit)      
4 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon fennel seed (it helps bring out the “sausage” flavor)1 tablespoon hot sauce (I use Franks Red Hot; and if you’d like it hotter, add more. )
4 cups milk (I use 2%)
Plenty of salt and pepper to taste!!
 

First brown the sausage in a large pan.  Make sure you break it up into crumbly bits.  Do not drain the fat! That’s what works with the flour to make the roux.  Roux is the French word for gravy base.  Don’t be scared.

Sprinkle in the fennel seeds and flour.  Stir it until the flour coats the sausage and begins to get gummy looking. 

Now add the milk.  I start with two cups, then gradually add the rest until it gets to the right consistency.  When you first add the milk it will look like you did it wrong.  It will resemble soup.   That’s ok, keep stirring.  As it cooks, the gravy will thicken.  Be sure to taste and add salt and pepper.  Don’t forget the hot sauce. 

I made this the first time because I wanted biscuits and gravy, but couldn’t really afford to go out to eat.  I bought canned gravy thinking that would do the trick.  Never was I so wrong.  Don’t do what I did and settle for canned sausage gravy.  Spend twenty minutes and make the real thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment